Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Growing up...

In the mad rush of the holidays I was hit with the jolt that I am growing up. As my mom tore her hair out because of the misbehaving oven and my younger brother set out on the "mission possible" - annoying me, I realized that I didn't know how much I could take of it all. Three days, four tops, but after that I would need a break.

In the past year I have come to the realization that loving your parents does not always mean doing what they say. Respect, sure I can handle that, give it freely, but complete obedience, that's a whole other ballpark, one that I will have to honorably excuse myself from thank you very much. I don't think my parents have really come to terms with my decision, lol, but unfornately for them, I am not changing my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love any advice they have for what they think I should do with my life, my friends, etc, but they shouldn't get their hopes up that I will follow that advice.

When does it get to the point where your parents don't really know what is quite right for you? OR when should they stop deciding for you and let you have a go at your own mistakes or, even better, your own successes?!?!

Well, all I know is that I'm not afraid to ask for help, but I'm also not afraid to say I don't need it. The thing is they don't always listen, and sometimes think complete obedience is the way to go...Which leads to the fact that I can only take so much of my lovely family over the holidays. =) I think I've realized Im growing up, but you see...I am also quite scared of this growing up that is occurring. I don't know if I am up to it, but I guess that is a question many face. It is the looming unknown of the future that lies ahead. Unless you are one of those people that have their entire life planned and don't worry at all... But, that sounds a bit on boring side of life, so I guess I must be grateful or end up bored. However, I am also a tad afraid that my life will be boring... ugh.


No comments: